ANNAPOLIS – A pair of seniors led the way for UMBC as the Retrievers competed in men's and women's cross country meets at the United States Naval Academy.
For the men, senior Nathan Nadal (Silver Spring, Md./Wootton) placed fourth overall, breaking up a quintet of Navy runners to cross the line. Nadal completed the 8k course in 25:58.73 in less than ideal conditions at the USNA Golf Course. Three UMBC men finished in the top 8 overall as the Retrievers fell to the host Midshipmen, but easily outdistanced Loyola (Md.) and Bowie State.
Senior Kelsey Ponton (Laurel, Md./Reservoir) paced the women, crossing the tape in 12th place overall. Ponton sliced well over a minute off of her time from a year ago over the 6k course.
- Nadal earned his initial first-place finish for his UMBC career – he was the Retrievers' No. 2 runner at Princeton and at NCAA Regionals in 2017.
- Senior Matt Kingeter (Glencoe, Md./Hereford) placed seventh overall in a time of 26:26.53, while junior Brian Cave (Sykesville, Md./South Carroll) followed up on his fine effort at Mount St. Mary's with an eighth-place finish at 26:49.13.
- For the ladies, freshman Morgan Casey (Silver Spring, Md./Montgomery-Blair) placed second for her squad and 22 nd overall in a time of 24:21.35. Casey was UMBC's top finish at the Mount St. Mary's 5k Duals.
- UMBC edged Loyola (Md.) for fourth place (of 6 teams), 94-95.
- Both teams return to action on Saturday, Sept. 29 as they face large fields at the Paul Short Invitational at Lehigh University.