Baltimore, Md.—The UMBC volleyball team will head down to Washington, D.C. to take on the Bison on Friday night. The Retrievers are coming off a 1-2 weekend in the desert at the Wildcat Classic. UMBC is 5-7 on the season, coming into the final non-conference game of the year.
Last Time Out:
- UMBC is coming off a 1-2 weekend at the Wildcat Classic out in Tucson, Arizona. The Retrievers opened the tournament up with a huge 3-2 win over Tulane. UMBC then had a rematch against Coppin State, but fell, 3-2, against the Eagles. The team closed out the weekend with a 3-0 defeat at the hands of #20 Arizona.
Scouting the Retrievers:
- UMBC comes into the match with Howard on a two game losing streak. The Retrievers are 1-2 on the road this season, and 4-3 on neutral floors.
- Redshirt junior Krystal Mlemchukwu (Baltimore, Md./Western Tech) has been a force on offense for UMBC. Mlemchukwu has 112 kills (2.67 per set) to lead the Retrievers. Not far behind her is senior Hannah Schmidt (Catonsville, Md./Mount de Sales). Schmidt is second on the team with 96 winners, which is good for a 2.29 kill per set ratio.
- Junior Paige Miller (Reading, Pa./Schuylkill Valley) leads the team with 369 assists. The junior ranks third in the America East with an 8.79 assists per set ratio.
- Freshman Abbie Mirabella (Hockessin, Del./St. Mark's) has started off her collegiate career with a bang. Mirabella has already garnered America East Rookie of the Week honors, while also leading the team in service aces. The rook has 21 aces so far this year, good for first in the conference.
- The Retrievers have played ten of their 12 matches this season away from the friendly confines of the RAC. In those ten games (three away, seven neutral), UMBC is a combined 5-5 (1-2 away, 4-3 neutral). The Retrievers will finish up the year with six of their final ten matches coming at home.
Scouting the Bison:
- Howard boasts a 7-7 overall record on the year. The Bison come into the match Friday having lost their last two games both by a score of 3-0 (Coastal Carolina and NC State).
- Khaila Donaldson paces the Bison with 183 kills (3.52 per set) on the season. Not far behind her is Assata Conway with 118.
- The Bison are 2-0 in five set matches, having defeated Tulane and Florida Atlantic in five rounds on September 12.
- UMBC holds a distinct 20-3 lead over Howard all time. The Retrievers have won the last ten meetings with the Bison, having only dropped three sets total in those meetings. UMBC won the most recent meeting, 3-0, back on September 9, 2012 in the Maddie Bingaman Tournament. The last Howard victory came in 1989.
On The Horizon:
- The Retrievers will open up America East play, as the travel to Stony Brook and Hartford next weekend. The match with the Seawolves on Friday, October 3 begins at 7:00 p.m. Hartford and UMBC will square off on Sunday, October 5, beginning at 1:00 p.m.