Ithaca, N.Y. – The UMBC women's tennis team battled a tough Cornell squad and came up on the short end of a 5-2 decision at the Reis Tennis Center.
UMBC senior Kim Berghaus (Offenbach, Germany) and sophomore Madlena Kurasz (Zlotoryja, Poland) evened doubles play with a 6-3 victory at the No. 3 slot. But the Big Red No. 2 tandem knocked off a solid UMBC duo of sophomore Shannon Cleary (Little Bay, NSW, Australia) and senior Josefin Stange-Jonsson, (Vasteras, Sweden), 6-2, to take the doubles point.
Cornell won matches at No. 1 and 2 singles to increase the lead to 3-0, but Stange-Jonsson gave UMBC life when she captured her first set, 6-2, at No. 5 singles. But CU's Christy Kung rallied to edge the Retriever senior, 2-6, 6-3, 11-9.
The Retrievers would win contests at the Nos. 6 and 4 singles respectively, as Cleary edged Kristin Quill, 6-3, 7-6, and Kurasz won a tight match over Lauren Frazier, 4-6, 6-4, (10-7).
Cornell improved to 2-0, while UMBC slipped to 1-3 on the young season.
UMBC returns to action on Sunday, Feb. 9 when they welcome James Madison to Twin Lakes Racquet Club.
CORNELL 5, UMBC 2
Sunday's results; at Reis Tennis Center; Ithaca, N.Y.
1. Marika Cusick/Alexandra D'Ascenzo (C) def. Isabel Aldunate/Mariami Dolashvili, 6-2
2. Lauren Frazier/Dena Tanenbaum (C) def. Shannon Cleary/Josefin Stange-Jonsson, 6-2
3. Kim Berghaus/Madlena Kurasz (UMBC) def. Christy Kung/Kristin Quill, 6-3
1. Tanenbaum (C) def. Olga Baikulova, 6-4, 3-1, retired (injury)
2. Cusick (C) def. Aldunate, 6-0, 6-0
3. D'Ascenzo (C) def. Dolashvili, 6-1, 7-5
4. Kurasz (UMBC) def. Frazier, 4-6, 6-4, (10-7)
5. Kung (C) def. Stange-Jonsson, 2-6, 6-3, (11-9)
6. Cleary (UMBC) def. Quill, 6-3, 7-6(3)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2), Singles (1,2,5,3,6,4).
Records: Cornell 2-0, UMBC 1-3.