Women's Tennis Drops Decision at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
Corpus Christi, Texas – The UMBC women's tennis team dropped a 6-0 decision to host Texas A&M-Corpus Christi at the Thomas J. Henry Center to complete their trip to Texas.
The Retrievers split a pair of matches in the Lone Star state. It was TAMCC's first match of the season and only singles matches were contested.
Making her return to the court after an injury-shortened 2012-13 season, senior Kim Berghaus (Offenbach, Germany) dropped the first set to Maider Martin at No. 2 singles, but bounced back to capture the second set, 6-1. In the third set tie-breaker, Martin prevailed, 10-5.
The Islanders won the other five matches in straight sets, but No. 4 freshman Mariami Dolashvili (Ukraine) and No. 6 Josefin Stange-Jonsson (Vasteras, Sweden) both extended their opponents, dropping 7-5 sets.
The Retrievers travel to Cornell next weekend for matches versus Buffalo (Feb. 1) and the host Big Red (Feb. 2).
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 6, Maryland Baltimore County 0
1. Stefania Nicolae (AMCC) def. Olga Baikulova (UMBC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Maider Martin (AMCC) def. Kim Berghaus (UMBC) 6-3, 1-6, 10-5
3. Sandra Burges (AMCC) def. Isabel Aldunate (UMBC) 6-1, 6-4
4. Celia Rodriguez (AMCC) def. Mariami Dolashvili (UMBC) 6-1, 7-5
5. Kerry Galhos (AMCC) def. Madlena Kurasz (UMBC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Judit Vives (AMCC) def. Josefin Stange-Jonss (UMBC) 7-5, 6-1
Maryland Baltimore County 1-1
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 1-0
Order of finish: Singles (1,5,3,6,4,2)