BALTIMORE – For the third time this season, the UMBC women's soccer team fought through rainy conditions at UMBC Stadium but ultimately fell, 1-0, to the Stony Brook Seawolves on Thursday night.
- Stony Brook scored the lone goal of the game in the 15th minute after Julie Johnstonbaugh got her foot on a ball that was sent into the box off a Kimmy Chavkin corner kick.
- Erin Stevenson (Sellersville, Pa.) looked to equalize the game in the 22nd minute, but Stony Brook's Sofia Manner made the save.
- In the 37th minute, Mari Brenden put a shot on goal that Jade Wilkins (Stoney Beach, Md./The Catholic High School) saved before the teams were put into an hour-long lightning delay.
- Once the teams finally retook the field, Christina Corbi (Medford, Md.) sent another shot towards the net for UMBC in the 45th minute, but Manner made the save to preserve the Seawolves' 1-0 lead at the half.
- Corbi put another shot within goals reach in the 69th minute but Manner made the save.
- SBU's Tatum Kauka took two shots in the 72nd and 73rd minutes that both were swatted away by Wilkins.
- Chelsie DePonte gave the Seawolves one final chance to score again in the 79th minute, but Wilkins made her final save of the game.
FOR THE RECORD
- Stony Brook moves to 9-6-1 on the season and 4-1-1 in America East contest, while UMBC falls to 1-13-0 overall and 0-5-0 in conference play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The teams were almost even in shots, with the Seawolves holding a slight 9-7 advantage, including a 5-3 slight in on goal attempts.
- Stevenson led the Retrievers with three shots on the night.
- The game saw an hour lightning delay in the 37th minute.
- While not their normal playing surface, UMBC has played almost half of its home games at UMBC Stadium this season due to the rainy conditions.
MINDING THE NET
- Manner picked up her sixth clean sheet of the season and made three saves in net. Wilkins made her fourth start in goal for UMBC, posting her fourth game with four saves.
ONTO THE NEXT ONE
- UMBC returns home on Sunday, Oct. 14 as they face the UMass Lowell River Hawks at 1 p.m. for their homecoming match. Tickets can be purchased at tickets.umbc.edu.