Posted: Oct 07, 2018
BALTIMORE – The UMBC women's soccer team dropped a 3-0 decision against the Vermont Catamounts on Sunday afternoon.
- Vermont starting the scoring off early, netting its first of the day in the 3rd minute after Brooke Jenkins sent the ball behind the keeper.
- Amberlina Argubie (Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard), Danielle Fuentes (Rockville, Md./Magruder), and Nikki Saad (Hummelstown, Pa.) each sent a shot on goal to try and tie the game up, but Vermont's Kacey Lambertson kept the ball out each time.
- Right before the half, Vermont's Natalie Durieux got a head onto a pass but Jade Wilkins (Stoney Beach, Md./The Catholic High School) made the save to keep the score at 1-0.
- The Catamounts took a 2-0 lead in the second half after Christina Barry headed in a corner kick in the 53rd minute from Casey Garfinkel. Barry had previously headed a similar shot off a Garfinkle corner that was blocked seconds earlier.
- Christina Corbi (Medford N.J.) took back-to-back shots in the 65th minute, but both went just wide of the net.
- Wilkins made another save in the 66th minute after Alexa Mihale looked to give Vermont a 3-0 lead.
- Meredith Webber (Yardley, Pa.) tried to put UMBC on the board in the 68th minute with a header shot, but Lambertson was able to get a hand on the ball to keep it out of the net.
- Jenkins scored her second of the day and gave Vermont the 3-0 lead after she sent a pass from Mihale into the net, that chipped in off the post.
- Vermont sent two more shots on goal in the 79th and 88th minutes, but Wilkins kept both shots away from the back of the net.
FOR THE RECORD
- Vermont moves to 4-7-3 overall and 2-2-1 in America East play. UMBC falls to 1-12-0 on the season and 0-4-0 in conference contests.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Retrievers and Catamounts were fairly even in shots, with Vermont holding a slight 13-10 advantage against UMBC.
- Corbi and Erin Stevenson (Sellersville, Pa.) led the Retrievers with three shots a piece.
MINDING THE NET
- Lambertson picked her fourth shutout of the season as she made four saves in goal for Vermont. Wilkins made her third start in goal for UMBC, making four saves in net.
ONTO THE NEXT ONE
- UMBC returns home on Thursday, Oct. 11 as they face the Stony Brook Seawolves at 7 p.m. on ESPN3. Tickets can be purchased at tickets.umbc.edu.