BALTIMORE – In their first overtime game of the season, the UMBC women's soccer team fell, 3-2, to the NJIT Highlanders on Sunday afternoon. The Highlanders scored the golden goal in the 93rd minute of play.
- NJIT struck first in the 23rd minute after Jennifer Callaghan headed in a corner kick from Arianna Gerber.
- Christina Corbi (Medford, N.J.) looked to tie things up in the 31st minute with a header of her own, but sent the ball just wide of the net.
- Olivia Bronson (Gaithersburg, Md./St. Andrew's Episcopal) corralled a ball that pulled NJIT's Amelia Spairman away from the net, but Bronson's shot was saved by a Highlanders defender in the 37th minute.
- After halftime, Jess Hopkins (Clarksville, Md./River Hill) made back-to-back shots for the Retrievers but Spairman was able to get a hand on each of them.
- In the 54th minute, Danielle Fuentes (Rockville, Md./Magruder) sent a pass to the feet of classmate Laura Ventura (Gaithersburg, Md./Our Lady of Good Counsel), which Ventura sent into the right corner of the net to tie the game up at 1-1.
- After NJIT was called for a foul, Sydney Donovan (Smithtown, N.Y.) crossed a free kick into the box that Meredith Webber (Yardley, N.Y.) sent right into the goal to give UMBC the 2-1 lead in the 59th minute.
- In the 87th minute, NJIT tied the game up after Christina Conaghy fed the ball to Tara Walenczyk, who put it into the corner of the net.
- Webber looked for her second goal of the game, but her header after Corbi's corner in the 89th minute went wide, sending the game into overtime.
- In the 93rd minute, Katrina Nguyen-DeMary sent a corner kick into the box where Dunja Trajkovic was waiting and launched the ball into net for the game's golden goal.
FOR THE RECORD
The Highlanders move to 6-2-1 on the season, while the Retrievers fall to 0-8-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
92: Webber and Roth both saw all 92 minutes of game action today.
18: Today's contest featured 18 combined shots, with the Highlanders edging out the Retrievers, 11-9.
MINDING THE NET
Sapirman made four saves in net on six shots faced. Roth made one save in 92 minutes of play.
ONTO THE NEXT ONE
The Retrievers will stay home at Retriever Soccer Park to open a doubleheader on Wednesday, Sept. 19 as they host Mount St. Mary's in a 4 p.m. makeup game. The men's soccer team will host Howard at 7 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at tickets.umbc.edu.