PHILADELPHIA – UMBC women's soccer fought the rainy conditions in Philadelphia as they fell to the La Salle Explorers, 5-0, on Sunday afternoon.
- Like déjà vu, the game was silent through most of the first half before La Salle's Madison Bower pocketed a goal to give the Explorers a 1-0 lead in the 19th minute.
- After a handball foul in the 23rd minute, Elysia Paolillo (Worcester, Mass.) lined up for a free kick and sent it over the wall but La Salle's Claudia Jenkins punched it out of the top corner.
- Three minutes later, the Explorers' Jess Shanahan crossed a pass to Camaren Cox in front of the box to give the home team the 2-0 lead.
- Bower scored her second goal of the first game in the 30th minute with a slow roller, giving La Salle a 3-0 lead.
- La Salle added its fourth goal of the half after Alyssa Van Heurck scored off a cross from Katie Hoffman in the 38th minute.
- Most of the second half was quiet, with the only action coming in the 82nd as La Salle netted its fifth goal of the game off a shot from Amirah Louketis.
- The Retrievers had a few chances in the second half to get on the board, including two shots from Olivia Bronson (Gaithersburg, Md./St. Andrew's Episcopal) that Jenkins was able to collect.
- Erin Stevenson (Sellersville, Pa.) sent a rocket towards the net, but the Explorers were there to block it in the 84th minute after a corner kick by Paolillo.
- Rayven Conner (Ashburn, Va.) used an opportunity off a rebound to launch a shot towards the net, but Jenkins was able to make the save.
FOR THE RECORD
La Salle moves to 2-0-0 on the season, while UMBC falls to 0-2-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
2: The Retrievers took two corner kicks in the game, a lopsided comparison to the Explorers' seven.
3: La Salle freshman Camaren Cox tallied three points on the day with her goal in the 26th minute and assist on Bower's first goal of the game.
13: La Salle out-shout UMBC, 13-7, with a 7-4 advantage on goal.
MINDING THE NET
Jenkins made four saves on the day as she picked up her second straight shutout. Leah Roth (Valencia, Pa.) and Jade Wilkins (Stoney Beach, Md./The Catholic High School) each made one save in 45 minutes of play.
ONTO THE NEXT ONE
UMBC will remain on the road as they travel to Loretto, Pa. to take on the St. Francis (Pa.) Red Flash on Thursday, August 23. Kickoff is scheduled for 4 p.m.