The UMBC women's soccer team will head out on the road for two games, starting with a trip to Philadelphia on Sunday, August 19 to take on the La Salle Explorers. Kickoff from McCarthy Stadium is scheduled for 1 p.m.
The game will be broadcasted on ESPN+ (subscription needed) and live stats are available here.
Scouting the Retrievers
- UMBC opened the 2018 season with a defensive battle against Robert Morris, but the Colonials scored the only goal of the game with 24 seconds remaining for the 1-0 victory.
- Both teams stayed quiet during the opening half, with only seven shots on goal during the first 45 minutes.
- UMBC's Jess Hopkins (Clarksville, Md./River Hill) gave the Retrievers their best chance of scoring with a shot that was saved by RMU's Sydney Bruckner in the 37th minute.
- Before the half, Leah Roth (Valencia, Pa.) made a sliding save to keep the game knotted at 0-0 entering intermission.
- In the second half, Hopkins, Nikki Saad (Hummelstown, Pa.), and Elysia Paolillo (Worcester, Mass.) all had early saved shots to give the Retrievers a score, but Bruckner blocked them all.
- Roth made another diving save in the 56th minute that kept the Colonials from scoring, before Erin Stevenson (Sellersville, Pa.) turned around and tried to give UMBC another chance at a goal.
- After a foul was called on the Retrievers in the 90th minute, RMU's free kick was sent into the box and headed back out into play, landing at the feet of Jane Schleicher who netted the winning goal.
Scouting the Explorers
- La Salle opened its season with a 1-0 victory over Syracuse on August 16, defeating an ACC opponent for the first time since 2014.
- Preseason All-Atlantic 10 forward Madison Bower scored the only brace of the game in the sixth minute, The Explorers looked to threaten again in the 19th minute after a pair of corner kicks but couldn't get either to escape the Orange's keeper's grasp.
- La Salle shutdown Syracuse's threat in the second half with less than ten minutes to play, as the Orange took three-straight corners but the Explorers were able to
- Last season, La Salle won the Atlantic 10 Championship in a 1-0 double overtime victory over VCU. In the NCAA tournament, the Explorers fell to #11 Rutgers, 3-1.
- Bower was an All-A-10 First Team selection last season after leading the conference with 25 points (9g, 7a), while head coach Paul Royal earned A-10 Coach of the Year honors. Amirah Louketis earned All-Rookie honors, while Maci Bower and Taylor Newhart garnered All-A-10 Second Team honors.
Inside the Series
- This will be just the sixth meeting between UMBC and La Salle, and the first since the 2009 season, with UMBC holding a 3-2 advantage.
- In the last meeting, the Explorers posted a 5-0 victory over the Retrievers on August 30, 2009.
- The Retrievers remain on the road as they travel to St. Francis (Pa.) on Thursday, August 23. Kickoff is scheduled for 4 p.m.