Women's Soccer Battles Through Two Overtimes; Draws 2-2 Tie with St. Francis U

Women's Soccer Battles Through Two Overtimes; Draws 2-2 Tie with St. Francis U

BALTIMORE, Md. – After two hard-fought overtime periods, the UMBC women's soccer team drew a 2-2 tie with the St. Francis University Red Flash on Thursday, Sept. 14. The Retrievers move to 2-4-2 on the season, while the Red Flash picked up their first tie on the year and move to 2-5-1.

The Retrievers kicked off the contest with a goal just 1:19 into the match, courtesy of freshman Elyisa Paolillo (Holliston, Mass./Worcester Academy). The forward sent a cross towards the net from about 40 yards out that bounced up over the head of SFU's Julia Hernan and into the net.

Freshman Olivia Bronson (Gaithersburg, Md./St. Andrew's Episcopal) gave the Retrievers a 2-0 lead in the 12th minute after collecting a previously saved shot that bounced back into play. Bronson then sent a short shot past the goalkeeper into the left corner of the net.

St. Francis would use two quick goals to make the game even at 2-2. After Gabi Morales' corner kick, a scramble ensued in front of the net for the ball, resulting in Alyssa McGhee sending a short pass into the net for the Red Flash's first goal in the 29th minute.

Less than a minute later, Morales broke away from defenders and passed the ball into a lane to Sara Suler, who collected the ball and shot it into the right corner of the net to tie the game up. The teams would take a 2-2 score into halftime.

The second half saw junior Leah Roth (Valencia, Pa./Pine-Richland) make four saves in order to keep the game even, including a play in the 76th minute where a shot was saved and rebounded out to the feet of a St. Francis player. The ball was ultimately kicked away and out of bounds.

Both teams fought hard through regulation, with SFU outshooting UMBC, 20-14 through the first 90 minutes of play. The Red Flash held an advantage in corner kicks, 8-2, in the whole match.

The first and second overtime saw that same momentum from the teams, as each team had chances to score the golden goal. SFU's best chance came in the 108th minute after McGhee placed two shots on goal, having one saved by Roth and the other blocked. UMBC's best chance came with just seconds left on the clock, as freshman Meredith Webber (Yardley, Pa./Pennsbury) sent a header toward the net after a corner kick, only to have it blocked.

Paolillo and sophomore Nikki Saad (Hummelstown, Pa./Lower Dauphin) led the team with four shots each, while Morales led all players with six. Roth made a season-high 10 saves in 110 minutes while Hernan made two saves in net.

UP NEXT FOR THE RETRIEVERS: UMBC will close out its non-conference schedule on Monday, Sept. 18 when they host Lehigh in a 7 p.m. contest.