Women's Soccer Battles to 1-1 Draw Against Stony Brook

Bria Bass notches her third goal of the season
Bria Bass notches her third goal of the season

BALTIMORE – UMBC freshman forward Bria Bass (Springfield, Va./West Springfield) blasted home her third goal of the season in Sunday afternoon's "Fight In Pink" America East women's soccer matchup, but a second-half penalty kick by Stony Brook led to a 1-1 double-overtime draw at the Retriever Soccer Park. The tie marked the Retrievers' fifth draw of the season, a program record.

UMBC (1-9-5) continues to fight for its place in the America East Championship, moving to 0-3-3 in conference play, while Stony Brook moves to 8-5-3 on the year and 2-3-1 in league action.

Bass put UMBC out in front in the first half, scoring in the 37th minute on a turnaround blast into the upper left corner of the net from 25 yards out.

Stony Brook continued to play physical, but it was the Retrievers that were called for a penalty in the box, leading to the equalizer from senior midfielder Sa'sha Kershaw. Kershaw notched her fifth goal of the season on the penalty kick – SBU's first penalty kick of the year – beating UMBC goalkeeper Lauren Kadet (Oakville, Ontario/St. Thomas Aquinas) into the top right corner of the net in the 66th minute.

Kadet helped to preserve the tie with 29:58 remaining in regulation, making a diving stop on an open look from freshman midfielder Tessa Devereaux – one of her team-high five shots on the afternoon.

UMBC's freshman midfielder Preslie Quaranta (Baltimore, Md./Perry Hall) found herself ahead of the pack with one SBU defender to beat with 1:45 remaining in regulation, but as Quaranta tried to cross the ball back to her left foot and get a shot off, Seawolves goalkeeper Ashley Castanio charged from her line and dove in front to block the shot.

Retriever senior forward Rachel McKee (Ellicott City, Md./Mount Hebron) notched four of her team-high five shots during the second overtime, including a curving blast from just outside the 18 yard box that took Castanio's finger tips to deflect wide. In the 106th minute, it was again McKee threatening, rocketing a shot from 10 yards out that sent Castanio backward after punching the ball over the crossbar.

Each team had its opportunities to put the game away as the two combined for 36 shots in the contest, with the Seawolves holding a 22-14 lead. UMBC held a 6-2 corner kick advantage.  

Kadet ended the contest with a season-best 11 saves, while Castanio made five stop – three coming in overtime.  

"Today we had a lot of heart," head coach Leslie Wray said. "We played really hard and we put together a decent 90 minutes. We have to continue to work on our composure though. We had a lead and there were a lot of times where we had an opportunity to finish and we just didn't.

"It was a hard fought game," Wray continued. "I give credit to Stony Brook. They were a very physical team and played well in the second half. We were able to match their physicality, but in the end we still need to work on our composure, both offensively and defensively."

UMBC concludes its home slate on Thursday, Oct. 18 when it hosts Binghamton at the Retriever Soccer Park for its Senior Night. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. The Retrievers trail Albany for the final spot in the America East Championship by three points entering into the final week of action. UMBC will face the Great Danes in its regular season finale on Sunday, Oct. 21.