BALTIMORE – UMBC women's lacrosse continues its three game home stand on Wednesday, Feb. 18 when the Retrievers host local-rival Towson at 4:30 p.m. at UMBC Stadium.
SCOUTING THE RETRIEVERS:
- UMBC has suffered back-to-back one-goal overtime heartbreakers, falling 10-9 to both Temple and La Salle. The Retrievers battled back, outscoring the Explorers 5-2 in the second half on Saturday, but La Salle was able to get the game-winner with 20 second remaining in overtime.
- Senior attacker Abby Wilson tallied her first hat trick of the season in the loss to the Explorers. The Retrievers' leading scorer from a season ago has a team-best four goals on the year, with two coming on free position shots. UMBC has connected on three of its 14 free position attempts.
- Red-shirt sophomore Sam Nolan has tallied six points on four assists and two goals on the season. She has added four ground balls and one caused turnovers.
- The Retrievers have used eight rookies in their first two games of the season. Freshman Carolyn Jamison paces the rookies with two goals and one assist, while classmate Caitlin Miller has pulled in a team-best 13 draw controls.
SCOUTING THE TIGERS:
- Towson opens its season versus the Retrievers on Wednesday. The Tigers were picked to finish first in the Colonial Athletic Association preseason coaches' poll after posting an 11-8 overall record and a 4-1 mark in league play.
- The Tigers return the league's Co-Player of the Year in Andi Raymond. She paced the squad with 50 goals, 26 assists and 76 points.
- Senior goalkeeper Kelsea Donnelly led the league in saves per game 8.26) and held 11 of 19 opponents to single-digit goals. Donnelly also picked up a team-best 36 ground balls on the year.
INSIDE THE SERIES:
- Towson owns a 33-7 advantage in the all-time series that dates back to 1977.
- The Retrievers' last victory against the Tigers came in a 10-9 win on March 2 of 2011.
- Towson defeated UMBC, 11-6, last season on the Tigers' home field.
UMBC STADIUM PROMOTION:
-Battle of Baltimore: Dunkin donuts hot chocolate & black and gold bead giveaway for first 50 students.
-Post game meet & greet.
UP NEXT: The Retrievers conclude their three-game home stand on Saturday, Feb. 21 with a matchup against Mount St. Mary's at noon at UMBC Stadium.