Summers Nets 13, No. 8 UMBC Falls to No. 1 Maine 65-43 on Saturday

Photo: Steve McLaughlin
Photo: Steve McLaughlin

Portland, Maine— UMBC saw their season come to an end with a 65-43 loss to No. 1 Maine on Saturday in the America East Tournament Quarterfinals. Freshman Janee'a Summers (Bound Brook, N.J./Bound Brook) led the way with 13 points, nine coming in the second half.

UMBC ends the season at 5-26 while Maine sits at 21-9 and will play the winner of Stony Brook and New Hampshire.

Summers was the lone Retriever in double figures with 13 points. Senior Laura Castaldo (West Nyack, N.Y./Clarkstown South) scored nine points in her final collegiate game.

Three Black Bears hit double figures led by Blanca Millan with 21 points. Tanesha Sutton recorded a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds, while Parise Rossignol added 15.

Maine jumped out to an early 10-0 lead, with the Retrievers starting the game going 0-10 from the floor. UMBC would not score until Janee'a Summers hit a free throw with 3:33 left in the period. Laura Castaldo hit the lone field goal for the Retrievers in the quarter, nailing a triple with under a minute to go. The Retrievers would shoot just 1-17 from the floor in the opening quarter.

The Black Bears continued their run, using a 6-0 spurt to take their largest lead at that point at 13. UMBC would only score 11 points in the quarter, with Brittani Burgess and Summers each scoring four.

Burgess and Summers led the Retrievers with four points at the break, as UMBC shot just 20 percent from the floor. Blanca Millan led the Black Bears with 11 points.

Summers found her rhythm in the third, leading UMBC with nine points. UMBC would cut the deficit to 17 after a Summers three midway through. However, that would spark a Maine 6-0 run, that extended their lead to 23, capped by a Parise Rossignol three.

UMBC came out strong in the fourth, outscoring Maine 9-3 to trim the Black Bear lead to 16 with Allison McGrath (South Park, Pa./South Park) drilling a three and a layup on the run. Maine would retake control of the game late with timely three-point shooting, holding off the Retrievers for a 65-43 victory.