Charleston, S.C. – UMBC junior Jaan Kononov (Talinn, Estonia) was a double-winner for the visiting Retrievers, but host College of Charleston won four of six singles matches and edged UMBC, 4-3 at the C.of C. Tennis Center.
The Retrievers are now 6-4 on the spring, while the Cougars improve to 11-5.
Kononov combined with junior Melker Svard (Gothenburg, Sweden) to win at No. 2 doubles, 8-4, and improve to 5-3 at the flight this spring. The Retrievers won the doubles point at the No. 1 tandem of Alex Drean (Bayonne, France) and Daniel Gray (Bowie, Md./The Bullis School) prevailed, 8-5.
Kononov was very impressive with a convincing 6-0, 6-4 triumph over the Cougars' top singles play, Rodrigo Encinas. Junior Justin Carter dropped his first set, but rallied to edge Brice Allanic, 5-7, 7-6 (10-5).
But UMBC could not pull off any victories at the Nos. 3-6 singles slots. Drean's match at the No. 4 position went the distance, but the Retriever junior was outlasted, 6-0, 4-6, 6-1.
UMBC returns home to face Missouri Valley Conference foe Hartford on Sunday, March 22.
Tennis Match Results
UMBC vs College of Charleston Mar 20, 2015 at Charleston, S.C. (C.of C. Tennis Center)
College of Charleston 4, UMBC 3
1. Daniel Gray/Alex Drean, (UMBC), def. Franz Sydow/Brice Allanic, (COFC), 8-5
2. Melker Svard/Jaan Kononov (UMBC) def. Charlie Ghirskey/Vasily Kichigin, (COFC), 8-4
3. Justin Carter/Eliott Loubatie (UMBC) tied with Josh Record/Rodrigo Encinas (COFC) 7-7, did not finish
1. Kononov (UMBC) def. Encinas (COFC), 6-0, 6-4
2. Carter (UMBC) def. Allanici (COFC), 4-6, 7-6 (10-5)
3. Kichigin (COFC) def. Svard (UMBC), 7-5, 6-3
4. Ghriskey (COFC) def. Drean (UMBC), 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
5. Zack Lewis (COFC) def. Loubatie (UMBC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Garrett Gordon (COFC) def. Gray (UMBC), 6-1, 6-3