Edinburg, Texas – Senior Daniel Gray (Bowie, Md./The Bullis School) and junior Alex Drean (Bayonne, France) picked up where they left off in the fall, as the duo clinched the doubles point for UMBC and picked up singles victories as the Retrievers edged UT-Pan American, 4-3, in the opener for both squads.
UMBC dropped the first doubles match at the No. 3 position, but juniors Jaan Kononov (Talinn, Estonia/Armstrong State) and Melker Svard (Gothenburg, Sweden) evened it up with a 6-3 triumph in the No. 2 slot. Then Gray and Drean won a hard-fought 7-5 decision over Juan Cruz Soria/Koby Jansen to capture the doubles point.
Drean opened singles with a convincing victory at the No. 3 slot, triumphing over Elliot Johnston, 6-2, 6-2. Kononov gave UMBC its third point with a 7-5, 6-4 win over Cruz Soria at the No. 1 slot. However, the host Broncs captured matches at Nos. 6, 4 and 2 to tie the match at 3-all and set up Gray's critical contest. The Retriever veteran recovered from a tie-break loss in the second set to triumph 6-4, 6-7, 6-2.
Gray and Drean reached the finals of the ITA Atlantic Regional Championships in the fall.
UMBC has a day off before taking on Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Saturday.
UMBC 4, UT-Pan American 3
1. Daniel Gray/Alex Drean (UMBC) def. Juan Cruz Soria/Koby Jansen (UTPA) 7-5
2. Jaan Kononov/Melker Svard (UMBC) def. Miguel Alvarez-Hevia/Elliot Johnstone (UTPA) 6-3
3. Nikola Crvelin/Hector Ramirez (UTPA) def. Eliot Loubatie/Kamal Patel (UMBC) 6-2
1. Jaan Kononov (UMBC) def. Juan Cruz Soria (UTPA) 6-4, 6-4
2. Koby Jansen (UTPA) def. Melker Svard (UMBC) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Alex Drean (UMBC) def. Elliot Johnstone (UTPA) 6-2, 6-2
4. Miguel Alvarez-Hevia (UTPA) def. Eliot Loubatie (UMBC) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
5. Daniel Gray (UMBC) def. Nikola Crvelin (UTPA) 6-4, 6-7 (4), 6-2
6. Ethan Ammon (UTPA) def. Kamal Patel (UMBC) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)