BALTIMORE – The UMBC swimming and diving teams opened the campaign by hosting powerful Navy in a dual meet at the UMBC Aquatic Complex.
The 15th-ranked Navy men defeated UMBC, 158-128, while the Retriever women dropped a 171-115 decision.
The men won both the opening and closing relays to highlight the Retriever fortunes during the competition. In the opening 200 yard medley relay, the quartet of senior Garrett Wlochowski (Manchester, Conn.), senior Luis Daniel Galvan (Torreon, Mexico), sophomore Tiago Asakawa (Sumaré, Brazil) and senior Ilia Rattsev (Moscow, Russia) posted a time of 1.32.18 to edge Navy's top relay by .34 seconds.
To close the meet, Rattsev again anchored to help the Retrievers take the 400 yard freestyle relay. Freshman Niklas Weigelt (Clayton, Calif.), Asawaka and sophomore Satori Dobbie (Christchurch, New Zealand) stayed close with the visitors before the two-time ECAC champion edged his rival.
Three Retrievers captured individual events on the men's side. Asakawa captured the 50 yard freestyle event in a time of 21.09. Dobbie was in third at the halfway point, but rallied past two Midshipmen swimmers to win the 100 yard butterfly in a time of 51.05.
Senior diver Ben Parker (Lawrenceville, Ga.) captured the 3-meter diving competition with a score of 236.77.
A trio of Retrievers earned second place finishes during the evening.
- Junior Kai Wisner (Syracuse, N.Y.) took silver in the 1000 freestyle in a time of 9:28.16.
- Wlochowski earned a second place finish in the 100 backstroke, posting a mark of 51.04.
- Rattsev placed second in the 100 yard freestyle, touching in at 46.43.
On the women's side, six Retrievers recorded third-place finishes.
- Freshman Jenna Gwinn (Baltimore, Md./Mount de Sales) touched third in the 100 yard breaststroke at 1:08.39.
- Junior Natalija Marin (Belgrade, Serbia) was edged for second place by .10 seconds and placed third in the 200 yard butterfly in a time of 2:06.10.
- Senior diver Abby Biddulph (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) earned bronze in the 1-meter diving event with a score of 224.55.
- Classmate Haylee Committe (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) edged a pair of Mids to place third in the 100 yard freestyle in 53.60.
- Junior Vanessa Esposito (Quebec, Canada) closed well to take third place in the 500 yard freestyle, posting a mark of 5:14.15.
- Senior Sotiria Neofytou (Limassol, Cyprus) finished third in the 100 yard butterfly, recording a mark of 57.38.
- The 400 yard freestyle relay group of Committe, freshman Sierra Tosten (Hagerstown,Md./North Hagerstown), sophomore Tonia Papapertrou (Nicosia, Cyprus) and Marin placed second in a time of 3:34.96.
The Retrievers return to action next Saturday, Oct. 19 when they take on Johns Hopkins and Delaware in Newark, Del. The meet gets underway at 1:00 p.m.