Men's Soccer Drops Heartbreaking 2-1 OT Decision to UAlbany

photo by: Ian Feldmann
photo by: Ian Feldmann

BALTIMORE – The UMBC men's soccer squad dropped a heart-breaking 2-1 overtime decision to visiting UAlbany in chilly conditions at Retriever Soccer Park.

Retriever sophomore forward Alejandro Arbelaez (Batlimore, Md./Archbishop Curley) scored his third goal of the season to knot the score at 1-1 in the 55'.

Classmate Quantrell Jones (Baltimore, Md./Kenwood) was dazzling in the UMBC net, making a season-high seven saves.

UAlbany won its fourth consecutive game and improved to 7-4-1 on the season and 3-1-0 in America East. UMBC slid to 5-7-1, 0-3-1.

After the Retrievers tied the score, Jones made back-to-back brilliant stops on Haflidi Sigurdarson and Bjarki Ragner with less than four minutes remaining in regulation to send the game to extra time.

But in the 96', UAlbany's Kaio Da Silva drove down the right side and crossed the ball deep into the box and wide of Jones. The scrambling Retriever defense could not clear the ball and Great Dane junior midfielder Niklas Roessler got a piece of it and knocked it in from close range.

After a scoreless first half, the visitors scored the game's first goal in the 48', when Ragner headed in a Sigurdarson corner kick.

But the Retrievers became energized and senior forward Jordan Dove (Gambrills, Md./DeMatha) got off two good attempts in the 51' and 54'. That led to the UMBC score, when the Retrievers drew a foul 21 yards from the cage. Senior midfielder Colin Weyant (Perry Hall, Md./Perry Hall) touched the free kick to Arbelaez, whose hard blast glanced off netminder's Isa Hjerten's hand and into the net.

Jones' seven saves were one shy of his career high as he stopped eight Binghamton attempts last October.

UAlbany outshot UMBC, 15-12, and Hjerten made three saves for the visitors.

UMBC plays its final non-conference game of the year on Tuesday, October 22, when the Retrievers host No. 22 Navy. Kick-off time at Retriever Soccer Park is slated for 7:00 p.m.