Baltimore, Md.—UMBC men's soccer fell to RV Vermont on Saturday night, 3-0. The Catamounts used two first half goals to propel them in the win. The Retrievers drop their second straight contest to fall to 4-4-1, 0-2-0 AE on the year, while the Catamounts improve to 7-3-0, 1-1-0 AE.
How We Got Here:
- Freshman Jackson Becher (Hummelstown, Pa.) had the first good chance for the Retrievers in the 14th minute, but his shot in the box was blocked.
- Just five minutes later, Colin Weyant (Perry Hall, Md./Perry Hall) took a shot off a free kick that clanged off the crossbar.
- Vermont broke through in the 25th minute scoring off a rebound in front after Ciaran O'Loughlin (Birkenhead, England) made a spectacular diving save.
- The Catamounts added another just before the break on a free kick from just outside the box to lead 2-0 at the half.
- Quantrell Jones (Baltimore, Md./Kenwood) started the second half in net and was tested early. Jones made a sprawling save just four minutes into the half to keep the deficit at two.
- Tre Pulliam (Baltimore, Md./Archbishop Curley) had a chance to get the Retrievers on the board in the 76th minute, but his attempt was stopped by Clay Thomas.
- Vermont would add another goal in the final minute to seal the win 3-0.
- O'Loughlin played the first half for the Retrievers, making four saves and conceding two goals.
- Jones finished the game with three saves in his first appearance at Retriever Soccer Park.
- Vermont netminder Clay Thomas posted a shutout, stopping all six shots he faced.
By The Numbers:
- The Catamounts outshot the Retrievers 18-13, including 10-6 in shots on goal.
- Vermont committed 25 fouls, with UMBC earning seven corner kicks.
- Cesare Marconi (Loano, Italy) led the Retrievers with five shots, putting two on net.
News and Notes:
- Junior Jon Bell (Silver Spring, Md./Richard Montgomery) made his season debut, coming off the bench to start the second half.
- Jones appeared in just his second game this season, and his first at home.
- The Retrievers will continue their home stand against No. 16 UMass Lowell on Saturday, Oct. 6. Kickoff with the River Hawks is set for 7 p.m. and will be broadcasted on ESPN+. Tickets for the match are available at tickets.umbc.edu.