Baltimore, Md.— UMBC men's soccer jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, but a pair of second half goals by the Bison forced overtime. Neither team could cash in during the extra frames, moving UMBC to 4-2-1 on the year. Howard was playing a man down for the last minute of regulation and overtime after card accumulation.
How We Got Here:
- UMBC had the first good opportunity of the match, with Trey Vinson (Manassas, Va.) getting on the other end of a Colin Weyant (Perry Hall, Md./Perry Hall) corner, but his attempt was wide.
- Late in the first half, Cesare Marconi (Loano, Italy) had a chance from distance, but his shot rattled off the crossbar and out.
- Ben Dao (Frederick, Md./Tuscarora/James Madison) finally broke the tie in the 38th minute off assists by Jordan Dove (Gambrills, Md./DeMatha) and Kyle Saunderson (Laurel, Md./Reservoir) out in front. He collected a pair of headers and calmly placed it in the net.
- The Retrievers had a flurry of shots in the opening minutes of the second half, but two saves and another shot off the crossbar kept UMBC in front 1-0.
- James Gielen (Edgewater, Md./DeMatha) put UMBC in front by two with his second goal of the season in the 59th minute. Gielen collected a loose ball and placed it home to put UMBC in front 2-0.
- However, the Bison responded just minutes later with an Andres Gomez header to cut the Retriever lead in half.
- UMBC had a chance to score just 32 second later, as a foul in the box gave UMBC a penalty kick. Marconi stepped up to the spot, but his shot sailed high.
- Howard would get the equalizer in the 68th minute off a goal by Victor Guirma to draw even.
- The Bison would play the final minutes down a man after a second yellow card by Andres Gomez late in the second half.
- Neither team could get anything going in the overtime periods, as the Retrievers and Bison battled to a 2-2 draw on Wednesday.
By The Numbers:
- The Retrievers outshot the Bison 23-12 on the night, including 10-8 in shots on goal.
- There were 39 total fouls in the contest, 22 by Howard and 17 by UMBC.
- Marconi led all players with ten shots, playing all but nine minutes in the match.
- UMBC moves to 4-2-1 on the year, while Howard moves to 1-3-2.
- UMBC keeper Ciaran O'Loughlin (Birkenhead, England) made six saves in the match, including a pair of big time saves in the second half.
- His counterpart Carlos Caro made eight saves, giving up two goals.
- The Retrievers will open America East play on Saturday, Sept. 22 at New Hampshire. Kickoff with the Wildcats is set for 7 p.m. on ESPN3.