Baltimore, Md.— UMBC men's soccer fell to Air Force on Sunday night, 2-0. The Retrievers held the Falcons at bay in the first half, but a pair of goals in the second half gave Air Force the win. Freshman Jackson Becher (Hummelstown, Pa.) led the way with three shots, as the Retrievers fall to 3-1 on the year.
How We Got Here:
- Air Force had most of the chances early on. David Louthan had the best chance with a header from point blank range, but Ciaran O'Loughlin (Birkenhead, England) made an amazing save to keep it scoreless.
- Nick Gumbs (Clarksburg, Md./Damascus) had a chance just minutes later, as he sent a screamer just over the bar in the 27th minute.
- The Falcons threatened late in the half, but O'Loughlin made yet another phenomenal save to keep it scoreless at the break.
- The Falcons struck first with a goal in the 52nd minute from Austin Dewing. Dewing beat O'Loughlin low to the left.
- Cesare Marconi (Loano, Italy) had a golden chance after Jackson Becher fed a ball in the box, but Andrea Seazzu made the stop.
- The Falcons would tack on another in the 73rd minute to extend their lead to 2-0.
- Marconi had another chance late, but his strike went right off the crossbar.
By The Numbers:
- The Falcons outshot the Retrievers 20-10
- O'Loughlin made a season best six saves in the loss. He has seven total saves coming into the match.
- This is the first time since November 1, 2017 where the Retrievers have not scored a goal. The streak spanned four games.
-The Retrievers will hit the road for the first time in 2018 when they head to Annapolis to take on Navy on Saturday, Sept. 8. Kickoff with the Midshipmen is set for 11 a.m.