Men's Soccer Falls, 2-1, at Binghamton

Men's Soccer Falls, 2-1, at Binghamton

Vestal, N.Y. – Host  Binghamton scored a pair of second half goals and held on to defeat UMBC, 2-1, at the Bearcats Sports Complex in chilly conditions on Saturday afternoon.


UMBC senior midfielder Michael Scott (Fife, Scotland) gave UMBC some late hope as he converted a penalty kick with 1:59 remaining. But the Retrievers were unable to mount a formidable attack in the final 90 seconds and fell to 7-5-3 and 1-2-2 in America East play.


UMBC has league games left at U Mass Lowell on Oct. 31 and versus Stony Brook on Nov. 4 on Senior Night at Retriever Soccer Park. Binghamton will maintain at least a tie for first place in the conference and improved to 8-5-2, 3-1-1 on the season.


After an uneven, but scoreless first half, the Retrievers came out very aggressively and dominated the opening stages of the second half. Freshman back Riley Collins (Parkville, Md./Loyola-Blakefield) hooked a shot a bit wide from 22 yards out in the first minute of the half and sophomore midfielder Gregg Hauck's (Linthicum,Md./North County) attempt off a corner kick went over the net from close range. Moments later, freshman midfielder Patrick Jean-Gilles (Woodbridge, Va.) and junior midfielder Michael Burgos (Huntingtown, Md.) got good looks from the 21 and 16 yards respectively, forcing Binghamton netminder Robert Moewes to come up with solid saves.


But Binghamton would get on the board on a rare offensive salvo in the 62nd minute via a penalty kick. UMBC junior netminder Billy Heavner (Landisville, Pa) came out to the 25-yard area, but could not get to a ball played over the Retriever defense. The Bearcats got into the box and with Heavner out, UMBC was whistled for a foul in the area. Pascal Trappe converted the kick into the lower left corner to give the hosts the 1-0 advantage.


In the 70', reserve midfielder Sammy Kahsai (Mount Ranier, Md./Northwestern) and Hauck each had looks inside the box, but Moewes made routine stops on both efforts. The Bearcats doubled the lead on a nice passing play from right to left in the 78' as Harrison Weilbacher knocked in a shot into an unguarded goal.


UMBC would not relent and finally got on the board as a Retriever was taken down deep in the Binghamton box area. Scott drilled home his third goal of the season on the penalty kick.      


UMBC outshot Binghamton, 14-11 and forced Moewes into eight saves. Heavner countered with four stops for UMBC.


Heavner saw more action in the first half than did his counterpart, making three saves, including a pair of strong stops in the sixth and tenth minutes. Madison got a good look four minutes into the game, but his back-to-goal shot carried well over the cage. After the hosts carried the play in the middle part of the stanza, Kahsai created a good chance in the 40', but Moewes made a diving save on his shot toward the far post.


Senior back Malcolm Harris'(Damascus, Md./McDonogh) deep, tough angle shot with 2:30 to go went over the crossbar and the teams went to halftime in a scoreless tie.


With the triumph, Binghamton snapped a six-game winless streak versus the Retrievers.


UMBC plays its final non-conference contest of the year on Tuesday, Oct. 27 when they welcome Drexel to Retriever Soccer Park for a 7:00 p.m. contest.