Madison Nets Sixth In AE Debut, as Men's Soccer Opens League Slate with 1-1 Draw at Hartford

Madison Nets Sixth In AE Debut, as Men's Soccer Opens League Slate with 1-1 Draw at Hartford

West Hartford, Conn. – In a rematch pitting the teams that competed in the last two America East title games, visiting UMBC earned a 1-1 double overtime draw with a veteran Hartford squad in the league opener for both squads in chilly conditions at Al-Marzook Field.

The Retrievers extended their unbeaten streak to four straight and are now 6-2-2 on the season, while UH also remained unbeaten in four in a row and are 4-3-3 on the campaign.

UMBC senior forward Darius Madison (Philadelphia, Pa.), making his America East debut, scored his sixth goal of the season to give UMBC 1-0 lead early in the second half. 

But Hartford struck back 14 minutes later to knot the score at 1-all and neither team could break through over the last 49 minutes.

UMBC extended its America East Conference unbeaten streak to 20 in a row (16-0-4). The Retrievers' last setback occurred at Albany in October of 2012.  

UMBC's best chance in the first half occurred in the 25', when Madison received a pass down the left side and broke toward goal. The Hawk defense got back, closing down Madison's angle and the striker's 11-yard effort just missed, going inches wide of the far right post.

The game was scoreless at the break, but in the 49', a sophomore midfielder Gregg Hauck (Linthicum, Md./North County) was taken down in box off junior Kennedy O'Shea's (South Riding, Va.) free kick attempt and Retrievers were awarded a penalty kick. Madison stepped up and improved to 2-for-2 on the campaign by drilling the attempt into the lower right corner of the net.

UMBC played with good energy for a sustained stretch after the goal, but committed a foul 24 yards away from their goal in the 62'. UH's Rohan Roye played a square ball to an onrushing Andre Morrison and the Hawk defender skipped a long range shot beyond the dive of UMBC junior goalkeeper Billy Heavner (Landisville, Pa.) and just inside the left post to tie the game.

The Retrievers could not muster much offense down the stretch and did not get off a shot in overtime. Hartford, which sent numerous players forward in extra time, had the best chances as defender Mikkel Song hit the crossbar just 75 seconds into the final overtime period and Heavner quickly followed up with a crucial save on a Javoni Simms effort.

Heavner made three saves in the contest, as the Retrievers were outshot (13-5) for just the third time in 10 games.  

The Retrievers return home for the Homecoming contest on Saturday, Oct. 10, when they welcome Albany to Retriever Soccer Park. Kick-off time is set for 2:30 p.m.

Notes: UMBC had been 4-0-0 on the season when scoring the game's first goal… In 13 America East openers, the Retrievers are now 4-4-5… The Retrievers extended their unbeaten streak versus Hartford to six (5-0-1) and are now 10-5-3 in 18 contests versus the Hawks.