The UMBC men's soccer team kicks off its 2013 schedule by hosting the Seattle University Redhawks at Retriever Soccer Park on Fri., August 30. The 7:00 p.m. kick-off is part of the opening weekend's Springhill Suites Arundel Mills BWI Kick-Off Classic. UMBC will host UNLV on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. to conclude the first weekend of action. All UMBC home games will be streamed, free of charge, via AmericaEast.tv and live stats will also be available for all home contests.
INSIDE THE SERIES: This will be the first meeting ever between the Retrievers and the Redhawks.
A GLANCE AT THE RETRIEVERS: A pair of seniors should lead the Retrievers on the offensive and defensive ends of the field. Senior forward Pete Caringi III (Perry Hall, Md./Calvert Hall), tabbed a a preseason All-American by College Soccer News, recorded a career-best 14 goals and 32 total points in 2012 . He finished the season ranked 23rd in the nation in points per game. Senior netminder Phil Saunders (Perry Hall, Md./Perry Hall)
posted 10 shutouts a season ago, falling one short of Brian Rowland's single-season record (11, 2002). He led America East with a 0.72 goals against average and placed 13th in the nation, while his save percentage of 81.9 finished at 28th in the country
A GLANCE AT THE REDHAWKS: The Seattle University men's soccer team is now a member of the Western Athletic Conference, as the league announced they will sponsor the sport for the first time since 1999.
In a recent vote of the league's eight men's soccer head coaches, the Redhawks were chosen to finish sixth in Western Athletic Conference play in 2013.
SU posted a record of 3-13-1 in 2012. The Redhawks went winless (0-9-0) on the road.
SR F Miguel Gonzalez led SU in scoring in 2012, scoring four times and adding an assist. He was one of two Redhawks to start all 17 games. Gonzalez and SR G Jake Feener were tabbed to the preseason All-WAC team.
Peter Fewing will begin his second year as head coach of the men's soccer team in Division I play and 20th season overall at Seattle U. Fewing was the head coach of the Seattle University men's soccer team from 1988 through the 2005 season, when he accumulated a record of 220-125-26 (.628) during his 18 seasons at the helm. He led Seattle U to the 1997 NAIA National Championship and the 2004 NCAA Division II National Championship.
· UMBC is unbeaten in its last 10 home openers. A 0-0 double overtime draw vs. Radford in 2012 snapped a nine-game home winning streak in season lid-lifters.
- · UMBC has been hosting season-opening "classics" since 1997. The Retrievers have compiled a record of 20-4-6 (.767) in the contests in that span
- · UMBC was ranked 25th in the nation in home attendance in 2012 with 981 fans per game.
- · UMBC is now 36-31-11 in ten America East seasons, which includes a mark of 24-9-6 (.692) in games at home in league play.
- · UMBC is 27-4-13 (.761) in August/September home games since the 2003 season.
RETRIEVER STORY LINES:
- · Entering the 2013 campaign, UMBC is unbeaten in its last nine contests (6-0-3) and has outscored their opponents, 19-3, in that span. Dating back to 2012, UMBC has not allowed a goal in 551 minutes and was 11th in the nation, allowing 0.72 goals per game
- · The Retrievers have captured the America East title and advanced to the second round in the NCAA Championship twice in three seasons.
- · 2012 marked UMBC's third NCAA College Cup appearance overall, having earned a bid in 1999.
- · UMBC returns eight starters and 22 letterwinners from its 2012 America East Championship squad.
- · The Retrievers will play 11 of 18 regular season games at Retriever Soccer Park in 2013.
- · UMBC's current nine-game unbeaten streak is its longest since opening the 2010 season with nine consecutive victories.
· The Retrievers are ranked 29th in College Soccer News' preseason poll and received votes in the NSCAA preseason rankings. UMBC was tabbed as a unanimous favorite in the 2013 America East preseason coaches' poll.