Men’s Lacrosse Fends Off Mount St. Mary’s Rally; Earns 13-10 Victory on Saturday

Photo by Ian Feldmann
Photo by Ian Feldmann

BALTIMORE - Through the rain and cold, the UMBC men's lacrosse team earned its first win of the season over the Mount St. Mary's Mountaineers on Saturday afternoon, 13-10, battling off a rally from the Mountaineers late in the game.

Junior attackman Ryan Frawley (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) and senior Josh Jordan (Lunenburg, Mass.) each notched a hattrick on the day. Sophomore attackman Trevor Patschorke (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) also fueled the offense with two goals and an assist.

The Retrievers started strong, as Frawley scored just 31 seconds into the opening quarter. After the Mountaineers evened things out, the Retrievers rattled off four straight goals, including one from Brett McIntyre (Calgary, Alberta) from Billy Nolan (Crofton, Md./Arundel) with seven ticks left on the clock to give UMBC a 5-1 lead after the first 15 minutes of play.

Jordan notched a goal 44 seconds into the second period to keep the run going before Mount St. Mary's broke it up at 13:43 mark to cut into UMBC's 6-2 lead. McIntyre and Nolan, on a man-up opportunity, would each score before the Mountaineers rattled off two goals to cut the Retrievers' lead to 8-4. Steven Zichelli (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) scored the final goal of the half to give UMBC the 9-4 advantage heading into the locker rooms.

Out of the break, it was The Mount who scored first as the teams exchanged goals with Patschorke and Frawley each scoring once to help UMBC take an 11-6 lead. However, the Mountaineers began the battle back as they scored three goals in four minutes to close the deficit to 11-9. Jordan scored his final goal of the game with two seconds remaining in the third quarter to extend the Retrievers' lead to 12-9.

Mount St. Mary's once again cut the lead to two (12-10) at the 11:51 mark in the fourth period. The Mount had extra chances to score after that, but goalkeeper Tommy Lingner (Fort Salonga, N.Y.) made two big saves to keep the Mountaineers out of the net again. Frawley added an insurance goal for the Retrievers late in the period to put UMBC up 13-10 for the final.

UMBC and Mount St. Mary's were almost dead-even in shots, with the Retrievers barely edging out the Mountaineers, 37-36. The Retrievers were also 16-22 on clearing attempts, including a perfect 5-5 in the second quarter.

The Retrievers will remain home for their next game as they welcome Brown on Saturday, March 2 for a 12 p.m. contest.