The UMBC men's lacrosse team (1-0) starts a three-game road swing – although all three contests are in the state of Maryland – on Saturday, Feb. 17 when they make the short trip to Annapolis, Md. to take on the Navy Midshipmen (0-2). The first meeting between UMBC and Navy since 2003 takes place at Navy-Marine Corps Stadium at 1:30 p.m.
The game will be broadcast on the Patriot League Network.
A Glance at the Retrievers
UMBC held 20th-ranked Richmond scoreless for over 35 minutes and scored six goals in that span to erase a 5-2 deficit and defeat the Spiders, 9-6, in the opener for both teams in rainy conditions at UMBC Stadium on Feb. 20.
UMBC freshmen netminder Tommy Lingner (Fort Salonga, N.Y./St. Anthony's) was brilliant in his debut. He entered the game at the 9:10 mark of the first quarter and proceeded to save 13 of 15 shots put on goal by the Spiders in the final 50:50 of action.
Retriever junior midfielder Billy Nolan (Croton, Md./Arundel) posted his fourth career hat-trick and added an assist, but he had ample help from a pair of freshman from nearby Severna Park (Md.) High School. High school teammates Steven Zichelli (2 goals, 2 assists), a midfielder, and Trevor Patschorke (2 goals), an attackman, played key roles in the Retrievers' surge.
Lingner and midfielder Zichelli were tabbed America East Conference Defensive Player of the Week and Rookie of the Week respectively for games ending February 11. Lingner was also named to the USILA Team of the Week and was tabbed Inside Lacrosse's Alpha Player of the Week.
A Glance at the Midshipmen
Navy dropped its first two contests, falling at Jacksonville, 12-7, on Feb. 4, then dropping a 10-4 decision to No. 1 and defending national champion Maryland, in the home opener on Feb. 10.
Sophomore netminder Ryan Kern has played all 120 minutes in the Mids' cage, making 20 saves and allowing 22 scores. The Delaware native started all 14 games for Navy as a freshman in 2017.
Junior A/M Ryan Wade and freshman attackman Christian Daniel each have scored four points to lead the Mids' offensive efforts. Senior middie Casey Rees has scored three goals, including a pair at Jacksonville.
Navy has only won 15-of-40 draws (37.5%), but senior face-off specialist Joe Varello has taken 12-of-18 (66.7%).
Like UMBC, Navy posted a record of 6-8 a season ago. They won three of their last five contests, including a 10-6 home victory over No. 8 Army.
Navy head coach Rick Sowell just began his seventh season in Annapolis. He previously served as head coached at UMBC America East rival Stony Brook.
- After the win over Richmond, UMBC received votes in both the USILA and Inside Lacrosse/Maverik media polls on Feb. 11.
- The Retrievers won their opening game for the first time since 2011.
- UMBC was 0-7 versus teams ranked in the Top 20 in 2017.
- Head Coach Ryan Moran enters his second year at UMBC, he now sports a career record of 7-8. Moran was an assistant coach at the U.S. Naval Academy for current U.S. Men's Lacrosse National Team Coach Richie Meade from 2006-2008. He helped the Midshipmen to three NCAA Tournament appearances and two Patriot League titles (2006 and 2007).
- The 2018 UMBC men's lacrosse team has selected seniors Billy O'Hara and John Tornabene and juniors Jason Brewster and Gunnar Schimoler as its team captains for the academic year. Brewster will serve in the capacity as captain for the second consecutive year.
- UMBC returns 23 letterwinners from last year's squad and features 18 newcomers. Eight of the returning letterwinners started the final game of the 2017 campaign for head coach Ryan Moran.
- After a season during which Albany reached the quarterfinals of the NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championship for the third time in four years, the Great Danes are the unanimous America East favorites in 2018. Stony Brook is tabbed second, followed by Vermont, UMBC, Hartford, Binghamton and UMass Lowell.
- The Retrievers play six of 13 games at UMBC Stadium, including first-time visitor Michigan and (March 24) No. 4 pre-season and defending America East champion Albany (April 7). The four-team America East Tournament will be played at the site of the regular season champion on Thursday, May 3 and Saturday, May 5.
The Retrievers will head slightly northwest on Friday, Feb. 23, when they take on Mount St. Mary's in Emmitsburg. The opening face off is set for 3:00 p.m.