Stony Brook Pulls Away Late, Defeats Men's Lacrosse, 12-6

Stony Brook Pulls Away Late, Defeats Men's Lacrosse, 12-6

Stony Brook, N.Y. – The UMBC defense held explosive Stony Brook to only six goals in the first three quarters, but the host Seawolves broke open a tight game in the final minutes, defeating the Retrievers, 12-6, at Kenneth P. La Valle Stadium.

Junior attackman Nate Lewnes (Arnold, Md./St. Mary's) posted his second hat trick of the season and led the Retrievers with three goals, while teammate and linemate Jack Gannon (Lake Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) contributed a goal and two assists.

UMBC sophomore goalkeeper Ruston Souder (Chesapeake) made his first collegiate start and played admirably, making nine saves in going the distance.

Stony Brook senior attackman Mike Rooney led all scorers with a goal and six assists, while junior linemate Brody Eastwood tallied four goals.

The Retrievers have dropped three straight and slipped to 2-5 overall and 0-2 in America East play, while SBU improved to 6-2, 1-1.

Stony Brook entered the game ranked seventh in the nation in scoring, averaging 13.9 goals per game.

UMBC junior midfielder Pat Young (Ewing, N.J.) took advantage of a match-up with a short stick and scored on UMBC's opening possession just 2:26 into the contest. The Seawolves would tie the score, but Lewnes gave the visitors a 2-1 lead after one quarter when he tallied with 2:48 to play in the stanza.

Gannon provided UMBC a 3-1 lead just 1:16 into the second quarter, as he maneuvered inside from behind the cage to tally an unassisted goal. But Stony Brook struck back 15 seconds later as face-off specialist Frank Lucatuorto controlled the draw and tallied to trim the deficit to 3-2. The Seawolves added a score 2:10 later to draw even and the two teams went scoreless for the final 11:19 of the stanza to remain even at 3-all at intermission.

Stony Brook extended the run to 4-0 with a pair of goals in the first half of the third quarter and led 5-3. But Lewnes recorded the game's lone man-up score, converting a feed from Gannon at the 8:05 mark, and, on the ensuing draw, senior midfieler Kevin McDonough (Oak Beach, N.Y.) snatched the loose ball, drove down and found senior middie Conor Finch (Westminster, Md./Boys Latin), who finished from close range to knot the score at 5-all just eight seconds later.

UMBC had two chances to take the lead late in the period, but could not finish two chances from close range. Stony Brook netminder Brandon Maciejewski made a point-blank save on Finch with 25 seconds to play and the Seawolves would gain momentum as Eastwood finished a crisp pass from Rooney with five seconds remaining to give the hosts a 6-5 advantage after 45 minutes.

The Retrievers had several possession to attempt to knot the score in the early stages of the fourth quarter, but only managed one shot and Stony Brook broke the ice with a goal 6:29 into the period. That led to their second 4-0 run of the game as the Seawolves took a 9-5 advantage on Eastwood's fourth of the game with 5:24 remaining.

Lewnes capped his second hat trick of the season, halted the SBU run and brought the visitors to within 9-6 with 3:27 to play, but Stony Brook captured the draw and responded with a score 10 seconds later to essentially end the Retrievers' comeback bid.

UMBC outshot SBU, 25-22, in the first 45 minutes, but the Seawolves dominated the stat sheet in the fourth, with 12 attempts to just a pair for UMBC. Souder made nine saves, including four to open the third quarter, in his first action of the season. Maciejewski tallied seven stops for the Seawolves.

Stony Brook won 17 of 22 draws, including seven of eight in the final 15 minutes.

The contest was UMBC's first of three in a span of seven days. The Retrievers host non-league foes Mount St. Mary's on March 24 and welcome Lafayette on March 27 in a pair of evening affairs (7:00 p.m.) at UMBC Stadium.