Second Half Surge Lifts UMBC Men’s Basketball Past New Hampshire, 68-59 on Sunday

Second Half Surge Lifts UMBC Men’s Basketball Past New Hampshire, 68-59 on Sunday

Video Highlights 

Durham, N.H.— UMBC men's basketball erased a halftime deficit to come away with a 68-59 victory at New Hampshire on Sunday. Jairus Lyles (Silver Spring, Md./DeMatha) scored 13 of his team best 18 points in the second half in the win.

The Retrievers win their second straight to move to 18-9, 9-3 AE on the year, while the Wildcats fall to 10-16, 6-6 AE.

Lyles poured in 18 points, 13 of which came in the second half. Jourdan Grant (Bowie, Md./Archbishop Spalding) was the only other Retriever in double figures, scoring 14 pints, going 5-5 from the field.

Tanner Leissner led the Wildcats with 16 points, as Josh Hopkins (15), Jordan Reed (11) and Iba Camara (11) hit double figures for UNH.

Leading by two at the half, New Hampshire came out of the break holding the Retrievers and stretching their lead to five. The Retrievers would respond with a 6-0 run of their own, capped by a Nolan Gerrity (Cleveland, Ohio) layup to give UMBC a 37-36 lead. That lead would extend thanks to four straight points by Grant midway through.

The Wildcats would stick around, retaking the lead after a 9-1 spurt in the span of a minute gave them a three-point advantage. That would be the last time UNH held the lead, as UMBC responded with a 7-0 run sparked by a Grant three off the glass to give the Retrievers the lead for good.

UNH would try to mount a comeback late, by a Daniel Akin (Eltham, England) steal and score led to six straight made field goals, as UMBC defeated UNH 68-59 on Sunday.

UMBC shot a blistering 54.5 percent from the floor, scoring 34 points in the paint and 30 coming from the bench.

The opening half was closely contested throughout, with no team leading by more than five at any point. The Retrievers would score the opening basket on the first possession on an Akin layup. From there the Retrievers would go without a field goal for four minutes, before Akin struck again with a tough lay in to cut the deficit to 9-6. Both teams would take turns with the lead, as there were seven lead changes in the opening 20 minutes. The Wildcats would be the team with the lead at the break, leading 31-29.

The Retrievers will have the week off before returning to action next Sunday, February 18 when they host Albany. Tip-off with the Great Danes is set for 1 p.m.