Neller's 28-Footer Sends Game to OT, But Men's Basketball Falls, 92-86, in Extra Time at UNH

Durham, N.H.-UMBC senior guard Brian Neller (Red Bank, N.J./Christian Bros. Acad.) sent the game to overtime with a 28-footer at the buzzer, but the visiting Retrievers trailed the entire overtime period and fell to New Hampshire, 92-86, at Lundholm Gymnasium.

Neller hit five treys, scored 19 points and moved into third place on UMBC's all-time list with 241 treys.

Sophomore guard Joey Getz (Philadelphia, Pa./Archbishop Wood) scored a career-high 22 points to lead UMBC. Senior guard Ryan Cook (Laurel, Md./Pallotti) added 15 points and junior forward Chase Plummer (Plainfield, N.J./St. Patrick) added 10.

UNH junior wing Patrick Konan tied Getz for scoring honors with 22 points for the hosts. Senior guard Chandler Rhoads added 20 points.  

UMBC led by as many as 16 points in the first half, hitting 50 percent, but struggled during the final 25 minutes, finishing at 41.8 percent for the game.

New Hampshire hit 50 percent each half and all four field goal attempts in overtime to finish at 53.7% (29-of-54) for the game.

The teams went to overtime knotted at 74-all and remained deadlocked at 78-78 after Plummer hit two free throws with 3:10 left. UMBC went zone for one of the few times in the game, and UNH guard Scott Morris knocked down a trey with 2:47 remaining to give the hosts the lead for good.

UMBC had one opportunity to tie the game, trailing 86-83 with 20 seconds left after UNH's Ferg Myrick missed two free throws. Getz drove all the way to the basket and drew a foul, but only converted one-of-two free throws with 12 seconds to play. Myrick redeemed himself by sinking two foul shots with 10 seconds left and Konan added a pair with four seconds to play to provide the final margin.

The Retrievers started the game on fire, hitting eight of their first nine shots from behind the arc in the first ten minutes of play. Neller started the onslaught, hitting his first three attempts, spurring UMBC to an early 14-8 advantage. Then Getz took over, hitting three in row, achieving a career-best from behind the arc in a span of 90 seconds of action.

When Cook buried a trey from the right wing, UMBC had built a 33-17 advantage with 8:25 remaining in the first half. But the Retrievers cooled, misfiring on 10 of their final 13 attempts and the Wildcats cut the deficit to 43-33 at intermission.  

UMBC held onto the lead for the first 14 minutes of the second half, but the Wildcats finally took the lead at 62-60 on a Rhoads layup with 5:41 to play. There were five ties and three lead changes down the stretch, but a Konan trey with 56 seconds remaining in regulation gave UNH a 71-67 advantage.

Leading 73-71, UNH guard Jordan Bronner missed the first of two free throw attempts with 11 seconds left and gave UMBC an opportunity to tie the score. Neller squared up just left of the top of the key and buried the trey to send the game to extra time.

Neller passed his coach Jay Greene on the all-time three-point field goals list. Greene recorded 240 from 2006-09.

UMBC's next action is at Stony Brook on Feb. 19.