Men's Basketball Rallies From 19 Points Down, But Falls 80-77 to Boston University in Double Overtime

UMBC slipped to 8-10 overall and 2-4 in America East play, while Boston improved to 9-9, 4-2.

The Retrievers rallied from a 19-point second half deficit to send the game to extra time as senior forward Darryl Proctor (District Heights, Md.) hit a half-hook from the right baseline to knot the score at 63-all with nine seconds remaining.
Proctor was brilliant, scoring 25 of his game-high 27 points after intermission.

UMBC led for much of the first overtime period, until Terrier reserve Jeff Pelage tossed up a wild shot inside and drew Retriever forward Chauncey Gilliam's fifth foul. Pelage's shot fell and he hit the ensuing free throw to tie the game at 70-all with 1:32 remaining.

The Retrievers had a chance at the end of that period, as freshman wing Brett Burrier (Westminster, Md.) pounced on a Corey Lowe missed jumper with nine seconds left and appeared to have Jay Greene (Whitehall, Pa.) behind the field. But Greene looked for the pass up the middle of the floor and Burrier's tried to lead him up the sideline. Lowe recovered in time to outfight Greene for the ball and his halfcourt shot brushed the outside of the net at the buzzer.

Burrier scored UMBC's first four points of the second overtime, but missed a free throw when fouled on his second lay-up which left the game tied at 76-all with 1:42 remaining. BU's John Holland gave the hosts a 78-76 lead on two free throws with 1:36 remaining, but Retriever junior wing Matt Spadafora (Richboro, Pa.) drew a foul on a baseline drive with eight seconds remaining.

He hit the first, but missed the second after a time out and Terrier guard Matt Wolff extended the lead to 80-77 with two free throws with six seconds left. Boston chose to foul Greene as he advanced the ball up the court. Greene, who played all 50 minutes, missed the first attempt, then purposefully missed the second shot. Junior Justin Fry (New Bloomfield, Pa.) gathered the rebound, but could not kick the ball out for a potential game-tying three-point field goal.

Proctor hit 11 of 19 shots from the floor and added three assists and two blocked shots in 50 minutes. Greene, who did not play at Vermont on Monday due to headaches after suffering a concussion vs. Hartford on Jan. 17, recorded 10 assists and just one turnover.

Spadafora, who tied the game at 61-all (for the first time since a 16-all tie) on a 3-pt. field goal with 1:11 remaining, scored 14 points and added five assists in 49 minutes. Fry added 10 points and a team-high nine caroms in 48 minutes, while Gilliam posted 14 points. Burrier, who hit his first career 3-pt. field goal in the first half, boosted the depleted Retrievers with seven points and three rebounds in 15 minutes of action.

Lowe led the hosts with 26 points.

UMBC got out to a solid start, leading 16-11 at the 12:21 mark of the first half. But the Retrievers stopped solving the Terrier zone, and Boston outscored UMBC,  28-6 to finish the half. The Retrievers hit 29 percent from the floor in the first 20 minutes, while the Terriers hit 14 of 24.

UMBC ended up outshooting BU as the visitors made 16 of 24 points (66.7%) in the second half and the Terriers missed all 11 three-point attempts against an aggressive UMBC man-to-man defense. The Retrievers finished at 45.3 percent (29 of 64) for the game, while BU was 27 of 64.

Each team attempted 22 free throws and UMBC missed nine, while Boston missed five.

It was UMBC's first double overtime game since December of 2003, when they fell at Santa Clara, 65-63.

The Retrievers finish their three-game road swing at Albany on Sunday.