Men's Basketball Digs In on Defense, But Can't Pull Out Victory, Falling, 62-58, to Visiting UNH

UMBC was led by sophomore wing Chauncey Gilliam (Columbia, Md.), who scored 16 points. Junior post Robbie Jackson (Aberdeen, Md.) added 13 points for the hosts, and sophomore point guard Chris De La Rosa (Washington Heights, N.Y.) contributed 10 points, five assists and no turnovers in 27 minutes of action.

UMBC's America East Player of the Game was senior wing Matt Spadafora (Richboro, Pa.) who scored seven points and added a career-high 10 rebounds.

UNH junior guard Alvin Abreu led all scorers with 22 points, including a key 3-point field goal with 2:14 to play, which halted an 8-0 Retriever run and gave the Wildcats a 55-51 advantage.

After nine setbacks, New Hampshire (7-10, 2-4 America East) won for the first time on this season.

The Retrievers had converted 24 three-point field goals over the past three games, but were held to 1-of-9 by the league's top defensive team.

Freshman wing Ferg Myrick added 15 points for UNH, hitting six of nine shots from the floor in 19 minutes. Junior wing Tyrone Conley added 14 points.

A 12-0 run by New Hampshire erased a 43-40 deficit and provided the visitors with a 52-43 advantage with 7:08 remaining.  UMBC would counter with an 8-0 surge, capped by a Spadafora lay-in with 2:44 remaining.

After hitting 15 of its first 18 free throw attempts, UMBC went cold when it counted the most, missing four of six in the final 91 seconds. Jackson, who hit his first five attempts, missed two with UMBC trailing, 55-52, with 42 seconds left and Abreu hit a pair six seconds later. Gilliam then converted just one of two with 26 seconds left and Abreu pushed the lead to 59-53 by hitting two more free throws with 25 seconds to play.

The Retrievers had made 24 three-point field goals in the last three games, but were held to 1-of-9 by the league's top defensive team. UMBC hit just 20 of 55 attempts (36.4%) from the floor, although they held the Wildcats below 40 percent (22 of 59, 37.3%) as well.  

UMBC only hit two of their first 11 shots from the floor, but managed to forge ahead, 18-17, on a Gilliam jumper with with 8:17 to play in the first half. But UNH went on a 11-4 run, sparked by a trio of 3-pt. field goals to open up a 28-22 advantage three minutes later. The Wildcats maintained a 30-29 lead at intermission.

UNH also snapped a three-game losing streak at the RAC Arena. They improved to 7-1 when leading at halftime.

The Retrievers continue the three-game homestand vs. Boston University on Sunday afternoon at 1:00 p.m.