BALTIMORE - The student-athletes of #RetrieverNation performed brilliantly on and off the courts, courses, fields, pools and tracks in 2018.
UMBC's achievements in athletic competitions have been well-documented. But the year ended on an especially high note in the classrooms and labs, where, for the third consecutive semester, the student-athletes combined to produce a department record (3.14) grade-point average.
That fall achievement topped the department high-marks of the previous two semesters – a 3.08 in the fall of 2017 and a 3.11 in the spring of 2018.
"The academic success exhibited by our student-athletics during this past fall semester is a testament to the hard work of many," said Director of Athletics Tim Hall. "From our first-class student-athletes to our more-than-accommodating student services area, the gains achieved are a clear indicator that teaching and learning is a high priority at UMBC."
Here are the highlights of the semester, By The Numbers…
· UMBC's 17 varsity teams combined for a 3.14 grade-point average
· 10 teams achieved 3.00 grade-point averages or higher
· Top 3 women's teams - Volleyball (3.52), Lacrosse (3.33), Soccer (3.33)
· Top 3 men's teams - Lacrosse (3.38), Swimming & Diving (3.26) and Baseball (3.16)
· 234 students at or above 3.0 GPA (66%)
· 123 students earned a 3.5 GPA or higher (35%)
· 44 students earned a 4.0 GPA