Ithaca, N.Y. – The UMBC women's tennis team dropped a narrow 4-3 decision to Buffalo in a neutral site match played at Cornell University.
The Retrievers started brightly, as senior Josefin Stange-Jonsson (Vasteras, Sweden) and sophomore Shannon Cleary (Little Bay, NSW, Australia) won at No. 2 doubles, 6-2. But Buffalo won at both No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to capture the first point of the match.
Four of the six singles matches went to third set, and UMBC took three of those four. Freshman No. 2 Olga Baikulova (Vladikavlcaz, Russia) triumphed, 11-9, in the third-set tie-breaker to capture her match, while another newcomer, freshman Mariami Dolashvili (Alushta, Ukraine) won her third set breaker,10-6, at the No. 3 position.
Stange-Jonsson was the lone Retriever to post two victories, as she rallied to prevail at No. 6 singles, 2-6, 6-3, 14-12.
But UMBC could not win the fourth match the went the distance, as sophomore Madlena Kuracz (Zlotoryja, Poland) dropped a tight, 6-7 (6), 6-2, 10-8 decision to UB's Laura Fernandez.
The Retrievers slipped to 1-2 on the season and will take on the host Cornell Big Red on Sunday.
1. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Olga Baikulova/Mariami Dolashvili (UMBC), 6-2
2. Josefin Strange-Jonsson/Shannon Cleary (UMBC) def. Laura Holterbosch/Marta Stoyanova (UB), 6-2
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Kim Berghaus (UMBC), 6-0, 6-3
2. Olga Baikulova (UMBC) def. Miranda Podlas (UB), 6-4, 4-6, 11-9
3. Mariami Dolashvili (UMBC) def. Anamaria Candanoza (UB), 6-2, 4-6, 10-6
4. Margarita Kotok (UB) def. Isabel Aldunate (UMBC), 6-4, 6-2
5. Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Madlena Kurasz (UMBC), 6-7 (6), 6-2, 10-8
6. Josefin Strange-Jonsson (UMBC) def. Laura Holterbosch (UB), 2-6, 6-3, 14-12