Women's Lacrosse Faces First Road Test at George Mason on Saturday
The UMBC women's lacrosse team hits the road for the first time in the 2012 season, as they visit the George Mason Patriots in Fairfax, Va. on Saturday, Feb. 25. The opening draw is set to take place at 1:00 p.m. at George Mason Stadium.
SCOUTING THE RETRIEVERS
- UMBC had a tough challenge in its opener, taking on No. 4 Florida, a squad which came in at 1-1. The Retrievers got on the board first, but UF scored the next seven goals en route to an 18-6 victory.
- Leading returning scorer Alicia Krause was disqualified after picking up her second yellow card early in the second half.
- Draw controls were even in the game at 13-all.
- Head Coach Kelly Berger was recently named to the U.S. women's national senior team roster for the North American Challenge Cup, to be held July 13-15, 2012, in Oshawa, Canada, host of the 2013 Federation of International Lacrosse (FIL) World Cup.
SCOUTING THE PATRIOTS
- The Patriots start the season with six consecutive home games. They defeated St. Francis (Pa.), 19-9, in their opener on Feb. 11 and fell to Johns Hopkins, 19-6, on Feb. 18. GMU will face Boston U. and Albany at home in the coming weeks.
- Senior attack Mary Schwartz and junior midfielder Caitlin Formato currently lead the team with six goals and a pair of assists each. Schwartz has already tied her previous season high in goals.
- Hopkins led only, 6-4, at halftime vs. George Mason, but outscored the Patriots in the second half 13-2 using a 20-3 shot advantage and 10-6 edge in draw controls.
INSIDE THE SERIES
UMBC leads the all-time series with George Mason, 6-4, and has won the last four meetings. Last season, the Retrievers defeated the Patriots, 19-7, in the season opener at UMBC Stadium. The Patriots got on the board first just 47 seconds into the game, but the Retrievers responded with 11 unanswered goals over the next 19 minutes to take control of the game.
In 2010, UMBC won a 16-8 decision in Fairfax, Va. Coady found the back of the net three times and has six goals in two games vs. the Patriots.
UMBC plays at local rival Towson on Wed., Feb. 29. Game time at Johnny Unitas Stadium is 4:00 p.m.