The UMBC women's lacrosse team opens its 2012 slate with a bang, as the Retrievers host No. 4 Florida (1-1) on Sunday, Feb. 19. The opening draw is slated for 1:00 p.m. at UMBC Stadium. The game will be streamed live with several cameras and audio on www.umbcretrievers.tv.
SCOUTING THE RETRIEVERS
- UMBC is coming off back-to-back 11-7 seasons under third-year head coach Kelly Berger. The Retrievers upset a higher-seeded team in the America East semifinals in 2010 and 2011, but fell short in the title game.
- Midfielder Alicia Krause is the team's leading returning scorer. The senior scored 35 goals and added 15 assists in 2011 and earned America East First Team honors.
- Head Coach Kelly Berger was recently named to the U.S. women's national senior team roster for the North American Challenge Cup, to be held July 13-15, 2012, in Oshawa, Canada, host of the 2013 Federation of International Lacrosse (FIL) World Cup.
The UMBC women's lacrosse team opens its 2012 slate with a bang, as the Retrievers host No. 4 Florida (1-1) on Sunday, Feb. 19. The opening draw is slated for 1:00 p.m. at UMBC Stadium.
SCOUTING THE GATORS
- In just their second season of NCAA Division I competition, the Gators posted a record of 16-4 in 2012 and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. UF defeated No. 7 Stanford, 13-11, before falling to No. 5 Duke, 13-9.
- Junior attack Kitty Cullen led the nation in scoring in 2011, recording a stunning 77 goals and 86 points. Classmate Ashley Bruns netted 46 goals and led the squad with 28 assists. Both players earned IWLCA All-America honors.
- Florida was picked second behind defending national champion Northwestern in the American Lacrosse Conference preseason poll. Cullen, Bruns and defender Sam Farrell were named to the 2012 ALC "Players to Watch "list.
- Cullen and Bruns scored three goals each, but the No. 4 Gators dropped an 11-9 decision to No. 3 UNC in Chapel Hill on Feb. 11. UF cut a 10-5 deficit to 10-8 wtih 9:14 remaining, but could not complete the comeback.
- Freshman Nora Barry scored five goals and added six draw controls as UF evened its record at 1-1 with a 14-5 victory in the home opener vs. Jacksonville on Feb. 15.
INSIDE THE SERIES
The Retrievers fell to Florida, 16-6, at Dizney Stadium on Feb. 23, 2011 in the first meeting between the schools.
Alicia Krause led UMBC with two goals, while Kristin Bilney scored her first college goal. Kitty Cullen scored five goals for UF.
The Gators outshot UMBC, 39-16 and held a 19-5 advantage on draws. Ground balls were even at 9-9.