Women's Basketball Home | 2013-14 Schedule/Results | 2013-14 Roster | 2013-14 News | 2013-14 Statistics | In Review
Email This Page
Women’s Basketball Continues to be Active in the Community During the Fall
BALTIMORE – The UMBC women’s basketball team continues to be active in the community during the fall as it gets ready for its 2013-14 campaign to get underway. The Retrievers made two stops at My Sister’s Place over the past month and added a trip to Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Maryland on Sunday morning. The squad will add in a “meet-and-greet” on Thursday, Oct. 24, where the team will join the UMBC men’s basketball team for a reading night at the Arbutus Library from 7-8 p.m.
“Our young ladies do a great job giving back to the community every year,” said head coach Phil Stern. “I’m so proud of our program’s ability to help out in any way we can.”
The black and gold kick started a pair of Fridays by serving breakfast at My Sister’s Place, a center for women in Baltimore that provides three meals a day and access to services such as case management, education, and job training.
Prior to taking part in their seventh consecutive Susan G. Komen race, the Retrievers helped to raise $975, which will go towards the Komen Maryland funds.
Because early detection is the best protection for breast cancer, the Komen Maryland funds grants that increase the number of women who receive annual screening mammograms and clinical breast exams, with up to 75 percent of the net funds raised by the Komen Maryland Race for the Cure staying in the Maryland community to fund these vital breast cancer programs. The remaining 25 percent of funding supports national research to find the cures for breast cancer.