Email This Page
MEN'S BASKETBALL FACES TOP-SEEDED VERMONT
• #9 UMBC advanced to the America East Quarter-Final contest vs. #1 Vermont by virtue of a 78-73 win over #8 New Hampshire in the First Round game last night. It was UMBC’s first post-season win since an 85-76 quarter-final win over Robert Morris in the Northeast Conference Tournament in 2002.
• Freshman guard Brian Hodges scored 28 points, his season/career high and the most points scored by a Retriever this season. Andrew Feeley had scored 20 points on two occasions, at UMES (12/1) and at Northeastern (1/15). Hodges’ point total is the most ever scored by a Retriever freshman in a Division I post-season game.
• The 28 points surpassed Hodges’ previous total of 17, also scored at the BU
• The 10 assists by Rob Gogerty is a season high, one shy of his career high, 11, vs.
• Gogerty has recorded 6 steals, a career high. That gives Gogerty 150 career swipes, fourth on UMBC’s all-time list. The game marked the 37th time in his career (10th this season) that he has played more than 30 minutes and recorded one turnover or less (0).
• Seth Davis scored a season high 11 points. He has totaled just 8 points in his last 9 outings before last night’s outburst.
• Michael Knight amassed 11 points, his first game in double figures since totaling 13 vs.
• The Retrievers set season highs in assists (23), steals (13), and tied their season high with 9 three-point goals in the win over the Wildcats. UMBC recorded 23 assists last season at Northeastern (
• UMBC shot over 40% from the floor (27/59, 45.8%) for the first time since hitting 45.9% vs.
• Gogerty and Feeley will play their 110th games today, tying them for sixth place on UMBC’s all-time list.
• John Zito is the lone Retriever to score in double figures in both games vs.
• In 13 previous Division I post-season tournaments, UMBC has never won more than one game. They have faced four previous #1 seeds and are 0-4 in those contests.
• UMBC is now 6-2 this season in games decided by six points or less.